Our 6-week after-school cooking classes are now open for registration. This session is focusing on the basics of cooking – it is great for kids 8 years – 12 years old.
Register for the after-school program here.
See all of our fantastic cooking classes here, including toddler classes, homestyle Indian cooking, and kids on the farm classes.
Check out my article in this month’s PDX Parent Magazine. It features a trio of salad recipes perfect for these hot days!
Our Fall schedule is starting to fill up, with more classes being added as the summer continues. We have Turnip at Sideyard Farms, Homestyle Indian Cooking and our after-school cooking classes, as well as some toddler classes!
Check out our upcoming classes here!
I have had a long standing love of drinking vinegars. I started drinking them in 2010 when I first discovered them at Pok Pok. Now, drinking vinegars, or shrubs are everywhere.
If you have an extra handful of berries and fruit I highly recommend making yourself a sour, sweet batch of drinking vinegars. This is my recipe, I have simplified it from my original recipe written 6 years ago.
Homemade Drinking Vinegars – makes about one quart
1 cup of berries or chopped stone fruit
3 cups organic apple cider vinegar (I think a rice vinegar would work well too)
1 – 1 1/2 cups white sugar
1. In a clean quart jar add fruit and smoosh with a spoon until juice is released. Top off the jars with vinegar. Push fruit under the vinegar if it floats.
2. Cover the top with a clean cloth napkin and secure with a rubber band. Leave in a cool place for 3-4 days. (At this point you have a fruit vinegar for salad dressings)
3. Strain vinegar to remove fruit solids. Put vinegar into a sauce pan. You should have about 3 1/2 cups of liquid.
4. Add sugar and bring mix to a simmer just until the sugar melts.
5. At this point I would do a taste test. Mix 3 tablespoons with a large glass of seltzer. Is it sweet enough? If not, add more sugar and simmer until the sugar melts.
6. Pour into a jar and store in the fridge. Use as needed.
PS. A yummy cocktail recipe: In a large glass mix 3 tablespoons of strawberry drinking vinegar, shot of vodka, squeeze of lime and top with seltzer.
Here are some drinking vinegar taste tests! Part 1 and Part 2
We have decided to open up a few more spots of both weeks of our Art and Cooking Around the World Summer Camp!
Session One: June 20th – June 24th.
Session Two: June 27th – July 1st.
Click on sessions to register for camp.
Summer is nearly here and I am gearing up for summer camp! My camps are full – but if you are interested in getting on a waiting list, please email me at email@example.com
I will be doing kid-friendly events at the Hollywood Farmers Market the 2nd Saturday of each month – come say hi!
Stay tuned for our Fall schedule, things are changing!
Class day will be switching to Thursdays at Old Salt Marketplace.
We are also going to be doing some REAL farm to table classes with The Side Yard Farms and adding more preschool classes with Seahorses!
Turnip the Heat Cooking is teaming up with Umi Organic ramen noodles to do a fun cooking class! Tuesday, May 10th at 6pm at Old Salt Marketplace. Not only will we feast on a simplified ramen and a cold noodle salad, but all students will also take fresh noodles home to try at home.
Sign up here.
I adore Indian food, but I am often intimidated to try and make a dish at home. I am unsure how to combine spices (and how do I know I am using the correct spices!). But, we are in luck! The lovely Astha is guest teaching a hands-on, homestyle Chicken Curry class, along with multiple sides.
Join us for a fun, delicious evening on May 3rd.
Sign up here
We still have space in Tuesday’s Northern Thai Cooking class. We will making some of the most delicious foods ON EARTH! (Totally no exaggeration!)
This is a class for adults, so feel free to bring an adult beverage to enjoy, or purchase something from the bar at Old Salt Marketplace.
Our Spring schedule is ready for sign ups!
- March 26th, School of Oysters, for Families, with Foster’s Craft Cooking
- April 5th, Spring After-school Cooking Series for kids
- April 5th, Night Out! Cards and Desserts, for adults
- April 12th, Northern Thai Cooking, for adults
- April 14th, Breakfast for Dinner, for kids (Happy Valley Location)
- May 3rd, Indian Street Food, for kids, with Astha Mitra
- May 3rd, Homestyle Indian Chicken Curry Dinner, for adults, with Astha Mitra
- May 10th, Sushi Rolling, for teens
- May 17th, Paratha Making, for adults, with Astha Mitra
And don’t forget our Art and Cooking Summer Camps!
Session One: June 20th – 24th (Only one spot left!)
Session Two: June 27th – July 1st