Our menu today was salad rolls with peanut sauce, chicken bahn mi sandwiches and a fantastic tropical tapioca.
I like Bob’s Red Mill’s tapioca, but I did find some really fun multi-colored tapioca at Fubon. We mixed them together for the pudding pictured.
1/2 cup tapioca pearls
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
3 ripe bananas , peeled, sliced
1 tablespoon sesame seeds , toasted
1 mango or other seasonal fruit (or more bananas!)
- Soak the tapioca pearls in cold water for at least an hour prior cooking. They will swell to almost double in size, so check to keep the water level up.
- Drain well. Put in a big saucepan with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes until the tapioca pearls are opaque and softened. Drain. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, combine the coconut milk, water and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves.
- Add bananas to the saucepan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked tapioca pearls and gently stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool and thicken.
- Spoon into individual bowls, sprinkle with sesame seeds and top with mango slices. Enjoy!